Feature Negotiation Notes
Feature negotiation turned out to be more involved than it may seem at
first glance. To better separate the various aspects, the presentation
has been broken down into different sections.
- Background information
- This presents the basics from RFC 4340, gives information about
the precise location and types of features, and distills the
relevant processing rules into two flowcharts.
- Feature negotation dependencies
- Argues why feature negotiation and protocol state machine are not independent from each other
and why it is dangerous for the
implementation to assume such an independence.
- Feature negotiation during
- Presents a detailed analysis of how feature negotiation can be
integrated into connection setup.
- Implementation notes
- Notes on the actual implementation of DCCP feature negotiation in
Linux, the result of the above work.
- Why clients need to
- Although RFC says that it is is not necessary to retransmit
Confirms, doing this increases robustness.